Thursday, February 21, 2008







As we flew back to Honolulu to catch our Hawaiian Airlines flight back to Portland, I noticed how many homes had been built on the Island of Oahu outside Honolulu. I do remember the first time I flew to Hawaii in 1964 when Honolulu looked like a tropical paradise. Then when I went back in 1974 Honolulu was beginning to look like Los Angeles. When I again went back in 1981 Honolulu was looking REALLY like Los Angeles.. In my next trip back in 1984 the development was incredible. When I went back to Hawaii with my Hawaiian girlfriend and her hubby, Gloria and Joe along with Shirley in 1988
it had really changed and was really Californiaized. When Al and I went there for our Honeymoon in 1994 Honolulu had really grown. Now, if one would look at the hills behind and to the right of Honolulu the growth is way beyond belief. This is sad as the Hawaiian Islands were untouched for so many years and now it is just another suburb. The picture on top, please notice all the 'dots' going up the hills in the valleys... those are new houses. Sure can see the growth from the air.
In the middle picture you will notice Diamond Head also surrounded by growth...
Al and I have gone to Hawaii for the last time and want to rememember the Islands as a untouched beauty!!

2 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for sharing your great pictures. I cannot wait to see you in a few months.
Laura
Daniel is a cook not the owner.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger ourbusandus said...

WOW!! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I haven't been to Hawaii, (Oahu), since early 1970 and it was pretty tropical back then, from what I remember. Especially the other side of the island, nothing but white sandy beaches and nothing else. We're going on the Hawaiian Boomer cruise next year, guess I'll see for myself then...what a shame...

Hugs, Sharon & Ron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home